Wednesday 5 August 2009

Preparation Day

There is just one day to go before my interview. I've just been speaking to the woman who set it all up and she's given me some useful tips - so I'm not going in there totally blind on this one. The plus is that I won't have to go through the usual competency based question interview as the woman conducting it isn't a fan of these things. Truth is, neither am I. I've had a good coaching session from her and now need to focus my explanation time on getting the inteviewer to see that I know what I'm talking about, and will fit into the team and the company itself. This will probably call upon some of my finest dramatic skills.

I'm beginning to get a little nervous about the whole thing and need to relax myself a little. I am going to do this by indulging in a practice run down to the venue. One of my biggest issues is always trying to find the place that I am going to. By doing a dry run, I will know how long it will take and also exactly where it is. This way I will arrive at the interview tomorrow in a better frame of mind than I would otherwise. Making sure I'm not stressed or rushing is so important for things like this. It can make all the difference.

I'm also trying to keep a positive approach to the interview. I think when you have spent such a long time getting nowhere this can be difficult. We've all been asked to go for interviews we didn't really expect to be asked to and the key thing to remember is that, if someone has asked you for an interview they think you might be able to do the job. It's up to you to prove to them that you can. By asking you along they are interested, or curious at the very least. I've not always remembered this when I'm going to an interview and have probably made the mistake of sounding or appearing like I don't want, or can't do, the job I've been shortlisted for. It's a case of remembering two things: you are still in with a chance of the job until they tell you otherwise, and the worst thing they can say to you is no.

No comments:

Post a Comment