Wednesday 6 May 2009

On Hold Until Autumn

So after the last entry I had a reply to the Brighton job. It would appear (although not certain) that the job is not currently available and has been put on hold until the autumn. I have to say that it looked like the best hope I had of getting another position. It is a massive blow as I can’t think of a better opportunity I had at getting an interview at the very least.

The responses which seem like automated e-mails do contain key phrases. I’m sure the aim of these mails is to try and say no and provide some form of explanation too. They include phrases such as “we were able to match the criteria exactly” and another one said “your background is not as strong as the other applicants who applied”. It’s all a little soul destroying and simply doesn’t offer much hope. It also says something else, something I don’t think the person who wrote (in the case of the second quote) two lines all likely to have been copied and pasted into a dozen letters. It says that all the work you’ve done, all the hours and the effort you put into a job not only isn’t of enough value for a company to be able to keep you, but it’s not enough that you’ve been knocked back but also you feel others take a cursory look at your CV and they don’t think all of your efforts amount to anything either.

I’m sitting here writing this to stop it penetrating the wall I’ve put up to stop this sinking in and battering any hope I may occasionally entertain that there is something out there for me right now. Last year I don’t think I ever felt like I wasn’t going to find another role somewhere. This time I really don’t feel like that. I’ve said, or alluded, to this before and I’m writing this to voice my fears and try and stop it all from taking too much of a negative grip on me. At the moment it’s working but I need to work on feeling like there is something out there for me to find as at the moment there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment