Friday 8 May 2009

14 Days

It's the end of the second week. This time two weeks ago I was still within the ranks of the employed. I'd had a lot of thoughts about what I would be doing with the time and some of it has panned out the way I wanted and some hasn't. Such is life. I think I could also say the same about the blog. If I look at what it is I think I'm still in the dark. Then again perhaps that's due to the nature of writing anything over a period of time.

There is some kind of order coming into my life. I've discovered the optimum time to set the alarm is 7pm. This means that I've got time to laze in bed and then get up and check the e-mails from the jobsites whilst I have breakfast. If there are any jobs to be had I will then apply for them. Then that's it. I've really done all I can for the day. There are also the calls to a couple of agencies to check any vacancies but I'm limiting that to Friday. I don't think pestering them is terribly productive.

The number of jobs is still very thin. Virtually nothing has turned up at all in the past few days. I had a call from someone today who started discussing a job. After she'd explained the details of the job she asked if I could drive. I replied that I couldn't. There was a pause and then the phone went off. I'm not sure if I lost the signal or she hung up on me (I do rather suspect that it was the latter). She didn't call back. Ironically the only other job I've seen of any real interest was also for a driver only. Once again I'm not able to apply. Oh well.

I'm going to add some more things to do into my days next week so that the whole experience is a little better. I've got some yeast and some strong flour so will spend some time experimenting with bread making. Additionally, I've a travelcard for zones 1-5 paid up until September and so I'm planning some excursions into the capital in order to go and see some places I've never been before. I think the first place will be the V&A Museum. After that I'm not sure and will find some other free palces to go. Although there is an element of freedom all of this is going to have to be done on next to no budget. I'll pack sandwiches and may take my flask and be the sad bugger sitting outside the spot sipping a drink and eating my sandwich out of its box. Perhaps this is shoestring tourism at its ultimate. I've spent too much time sitting indoors this week (although that's also been a pollen thing) and need to get out, soak up some vitamin D and get happy. It's almost summer. I will need to keep the finances in check - as I really don't have too much money to throw about at all. If I do then I'll be out on the street.

So we'll see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment