Sunday 26 April 2009

Day One Tomorrow

So I'm on the other side. Tomorrow is the first day of joblessness and I've an awful lot of things to sort out. I've got to arrange signing on and also look at my options as to what I do about working. If there is the opportunity of working at something low paid then I need to consider it. To be, honest I don't really want to sit around being unemployed. I've said to myself that this would be counter productive although it also means that for a while I would have some money to pay my rent and my council tax.

Like everything else it's almost impossible to tell how much money that would be. They work out the benefits based on some odd and strange calculations. The other downside is the money takes weeks to arrive and the whole process is frustrating. Also for all that it means trying to live on just over £60 per week, and that's pretty much all my bills knocked out by that. At the moment I pay around £200 in bills and so I'm not sure how I'd live on what was left. That £200 does not include travel expenses as these are currently offset by the fact that I have a season ticket which I took a loan out at work to cover. At least I can travel free until mid-September so there is one consolation.

Then there is the issue of finding something suitable. Do I take the badly paid job in order to just make do? I have a termination agreement which means I've got some money but, realistically it will only last a couple of months so the next question is around making sure I have, and keep a roof over my head. I once heard someone say that all of us are 2 bad decisions from the street. I've always liked that idea but now I'm beginning to wonder if moving into this flat wasn't the second bad decision after accepting this job. It did start out looking stable but very quickly it has become something completely not safe and stable at all.

So tomorrow is another day and I need to try and keep positive about what I'm going to do: sort out all the issues, sign on as unemployed, start looking at all the options in detail, create some kind of routine and stick to it. To survive this will require structure. That and some good fortune from somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment